Sunday, August 5, 2007

Just Chillin'


I first heard Modjo’s Chillin’ when I was listening to a generic “club mix” CD that I got when I first started getting into electronic music. I actually used it on the demo CD that I made for when I first started my show. I ran into a remix of Chillin’ when browsing my normal assortment of music blogs. It was posted on this great little site Risky Bizniz, which I think is based out of Sweden. They always have a good track or two posted.

The Buffalo Bunch’s remix is pretty bumpin’. The main theme is there, but the base line has been tweaked, as has the song structure. The Bunch uses effects extremely effectively in the song. The phase and phalange is subtly applied at just the right points. The shift in the soundscape as a result is both barely noticeable, and yet has a deep impact on the feel of the song. This is one of the better remixes I have heard of late. It combines both a new take on an older song, and avoids what many remixers do now days. Current remixers seem content to turn songs into a new distorted electro track with a few samples from teh orgional cut. Instead of making it sound like something off the latest Madonna album, this stays true to the sound. As a result the quality of the track is superb, and it’s a unique find in today’s electronic music climate. Also the track seems to be recorded in at a high compression rate, so I am pretty sure it is ready to be dropped in the club!

>Download Modjo – Chillin’

No comments: