Monday, May 5, 2008

I don't care, I love this stuff anyway.


This post is very un-house related. Its not even about EDM, its about another sort of dance music, post-punk/folk dance rock. That's right, stuff like Devotchka, and Gogol Bordello. Specifically, I can't get this track from Jason Webley out of my head. I've seen Webley play live before, and it is a show. I've posted a video below of one of his performances.

Webley's performances are really off the hook.It's like Captain Jack Sparrow, backed by some of the people I went to school with at Fairhaven(some of them might actually be part of his band when he plays with one). He goes out of his way to get the audience as involved as possible. That sort of art doesn't happen all that often. Artist enjoy a comfortable anonymity within a consumer model of artist/audience relations but Webley goes the extra-mile in his shows.



I really got into some of the gypsy jazz that was popularized in the wake of the big band/ska revival in the mid 90's. There's even a great band I won't write about here other then a name drop called Bar Tabac that you should all check out. This stuff feels different though. Instead of a revival it feels like Django Reinhardt got in a fight with Junior Senior. I think that's more entertaining then anything WWE can come up with. As a added bonus, most of the performers are legendary. Gogol Bordello has a reputation similar to Iggy Pop and/or the stooges at their height.



This cover of Venus in Furs by Devotchka has a great almost break beat feel to it.

Of course the masters of this type of music is Gogol Bordello. Um... they rock.



I'll leave you with the word's of David Bowie.

"Let's Dance."

No comments: